Thursday, October 4, 2012

Memories. . . .

In May of 2011, just months after finding out that we would be parents again, my grandpa passed away.  It was a hard time for all of us.  He was the glue that held our family together, and almost a year and a half later, I still believe that.  But, that is not what I am posting about.

We all have stuff.  We had to go through his things and donate, sell, or take what was in his house.  This was hard for many of my family members, myself included.

I was able to have a few things that meant the most to me:

 A table that was in their kitchen, that my brother and I used to color at.  I will soon have that table in my basement (unless we can make room for it upstairs) for my girls to sit and color at, maybe with their Uncle.

Card tables.  Who uses those anymore??  We do, and for the longest time I had one in my living room, that my grandpa asked to use during a party, and it took me a long time to take it down.

A painting for our kitchen that my grandpa painted by hand.  It was an adult version of color by number. 

My parents took a small table and two chairs that Mike and I used to sit at during Holiday meals.  The "kids" table.  As our family grows, and our girls get older, they will be sitting at that same table during the Holidays.

A Jerry (from Tom and Jerry) glass that I had always loved, but was never able to use.  My aunt liked it just as much for her iced tea.  :)

In this picture there are Fudge Striped Cookies.  These cookies are more than delicious.  They are a memory.  My grandma would buy these when my brother and I were coming over.  I would like to think that this is the only time, so Dad if you know otherwise, please don't tell me.  These cookies symbolize something more than just "cookies."  These are a new tradition that my mom has chosen to continue with my girls.  My heart was happy the other day.  When we got home from DC (Dan and I took a very quick trip there), and my mom and dad(HI!!) watched our girls.  When I unpacked their suitcase, I found a small bag of these cookies with a welcome home note.  It's the small gestures like that that make my heart happy, and the fact that my sweet girl shared one of those cookies with her mommy.

*I was shopping one day when Leona was just a new born and Natalia was not having a good day.  I felt like a walking zombie and was ready to call in sick!  We were in an aisle far from cookies, and on a shelf with toothpaste, was. . .. you guessed it, FUDGE STRIPED cookies!!!!   I think it was my grandma saying that though things maybe crazy right now with 2 under 2, it will be ok.  She was right.  I have managed 10 months with 2.  There are days when I go places with God only knows what on my shirt, dishes left in the sink until bedtime, and dust patiently waiting to be wiped away, but making the memories is what this whole mommy thing is about right?**


Miss you Grandma and Grandpa.  I know you would just love your grand daughters and I can only imagine what kind of goodies you would give them to make them feel special, like you did for Mike and I. 

The end.  (when tears start falling, it's no longer safe to type.  I might fry the keyboard or something!)

No comments:

Post a Comment